Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Headquarters



Marker ID: GHM 129-7
Location: 436 South Lee Street, Americus, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 3.938    W 084° 13.8
  32.06563278    -84.23000689
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMACFX
Federal Headquarters Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

When Federal forces occupied Americus in 1865, the Colonel in charge selected this beautiful Greek Revival house as his headquarters.

The house is believed to have been built circa 1855 by Willis A. Hawkins, associate justice of the Georgia Supreme Court. It was purchased a few years later by Howell Cobb, Secretary of the Treasury, Congressman, Governor of Georgia (1851-53), and Major General in the Confederate States Army. Other past owners of this house include S.H. Hawkins, president of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery Railway, and Dr. W.W. Prather, physician.

GHM 129-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961




Federal Headquarters
Photo by David Seibert



 

129-7