Historic Markers Across Georgia



Andersonville (Side 1)



Marker ID: Andersonville Guild 
Location: At Depot Museum in Andersonville
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 11.681    W 084° 8.363
  32.19468389    -84.13938851
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4T9D
Andersonville (Side 1) Marker  



Text:

The city of Andersonville was incorporated in 1853 as the village center of a small farming community. It came to national attention when Camp Sumter Prison opened here in 1864 and especially when its commandant, Capt. Henry Wirz, was tried for alleged crimes against humanity in 1865.

Today, the community proclaims itself a `Civil War Village` and honors both the memory of Union soldiers who suffered here and Confederate soldiers who did their duty while experiencing illness and death in numbers comparable to their unfortunate prisoners.

(Continued on other side - FATHER PETER WHELAN )

THIS MARKER IS ERECTED BY THE ANDERSONVILLE GUILD
WHICH IS DEDICATED TO THE RESOTRATION OF THIS CITY 1994



 

 

129-A1