Historic Markers Across Georgia



Plains Inn and Antique Mall



Marker ID:  
Location:
County: Sumter
Coordinates:   
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
Plains Inn and Antique Mall Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Originally the Oliver McDonald store, this building came into existence around 1901. A two-story section was later added to house a furniture store and funeral home managed by Ross Dean.

In 1934, to the buildings were sold to Alton Carter for his established Plains Mercantile Company and Plains Mercantile Bank, the hand drawn elevator was installed for the moving of furniture and caskets to the upstairs area.

In 1791, the building housed Hugh Carter's antiques.

The building came into its present use in 2002, when it became the Plains Inn and Antique Mall.




Plains Inn and Antique Mall
Photo by David Seibert