Historic Markers Across Georgia



Billy Carter Service Station



Marker ID:  
Location: Church Street (U.S. 280), Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.051    W 084° 23.618
  32.03418333    -84.39363333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1954 Mill Jennings, owner and operator of Standard Oil station purchased this building from Thad Jones and moved the building to its current site. The Plains Hotel, which had recently been torn down, previously occupied the lot. Originally, the building served as a playhouse and dance studio for Jones' daughter.

In 1972, Mill Jennings sold the station to Billy Carter, brother of President Jimmy Carter.

In 1976, Billy Carter's station became an important landmark in the history of Plains when Billy's station became famous nationwide, as journalists covering Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign made it their headquarters.

In 2008, the Plains Better Hometown Program acquired the building and opened it as the Billy Carter Museum



 

 

129-A23