Historic Markers Across Georgia



Early Days



Marker ID:  
Location: West Main Street, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.018    W 084° 23.596
  32.03363333    -84.39326666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The town of Plains was founded in 1885. Milton Leander Hudson donated land for the town, including land for a depot for the new railroad line. The train depot is the oldest building in Plains, built 1888.

Originally Creek Indians inhabited this area of Georgia and were relocate in 1827. Settlers began to move in by 1840 three separate settlements existed- Magnolia Springs, a well-known resort area, a smaller settlement called Lebanon, and Plains of Dura. When the railroad came to the area, these three small communities combined and move here to form the town of Plains.

Plains in 1925. The town gets its name from the Plain of Dura in the biblical story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. (Daniel 3:1-30)

Erected by Jimmy Carter National Historic Site - National Park Service - United States Department of Interior.



 

 

129-A28