Historic Markers Across Georgia



M and M Cash Store



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Main Street, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.01    W 084° 23.592
  32.0335    -84.3932
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMWKR7
 



Text:

Building was erected in 1902 by Everett Lunsford, Jon E. French and Edwin Timmerman and was named the General Store. In 1909, the building was sold to Alton Carter and renamed Plains Mercantile Company.

In 1934, Mr. Carter sold the building to Hewlitt Carlton. Mr. Carlton continued the mercantile trade until 1935 when he sold to H.B. Moman, who renamed it M and M Cash Store. The store was in existence until the retirement of Mr. Moman in 1965.

In 1966, Fain Sutherland purchased the business.

In 1973, Ernest Turner bought the store and operated it through the campaign years.



 

 

129-A33