Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Carter Peanut Warehouse



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Main Street, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.012    W 084° 23.583
  32.03353333    -84.39305
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Built in 1903, and intended as an hotel, the building housed retail services on the ground floor and the twenty-bed wise sanitarium on the top floor. The Wise Brothers used this location until the 1920's when they moved to the newly completed hospital located on Hospital Street behind the Plains High School.

In 1934, Earl Carter owned and operated a peanut business and the Earl Carter Insurance Agency from this location. Earl Carter ran this business until his death in 1953. Jimmy Carter returned home from the Navy to run the Peanut Warehouse at this location until 1961 from this building, President Carter launched his senatorial and gubernatorial campaigns.



 

 

129-A37