Historic Markers Across Georgia



Plains Depot



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: W. Main Street, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.002    W 084° 23.651
  32.03336666    -84.39418333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMWKRA
 



Text:

The train depot served as the Presidential Campaign Headquarters for Jimmy Carter in 1976. The depot became nationally recognized and served as the backdrop for many political speeches. In January 1977, an 18-car "Peanut Special" train departed from the railroad depot in Plains filled to capacity with supporters bound for the inauguration of the 39th President. The depot now contains a self-guided museum detailing his grassroots campaign.

The Peanut Company
Formerly the Carter Warehouse, this was the site of the family farm supply business. The company and its operating plant, as presented, is the result of Jimmy Carter's assumption of the family business in 1953 and family ownership of the plant until its sale in 1981. Billy Carter was also active in the business.

Billy Carter's Service Station
Jimmy Carter's younger brother Billy, owned and operated this gas station from 1972-1981. It was a popular place for visitors and members of the news media.

Erected by Jimmy Carter National Historic Site - National Park Service - United States Department of Interior.



 

 

129-A38