Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Earl and Lillian Carter Home



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: on Carter Boy Hood Farm Jimmy Carter National Historic Site, Old Plains Highway, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 1.56    W 084° 26.028
  32.026    -84.4338
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

James Earl Carter, Sr. and his family moved into this middle-class rural dwelling as its second owners in 1928, six years after the home had been built. Heating was accomplished by fireplaces and wood stoves. Initially, there was no running water and electricity was unavailable until 1938. Earl Carter sold the farm to T.R. Downer in 1949. The Downer family owned the property until 1994 when the National Park Service purchase it. The home is restored to its 1930s appearance before it had electricity. Earl and Lillian Carter and their four children Jimmy, Gloria, Ruth, and Billy lived here.

Help us preserve this historic site for the enjoyment of this and future generations. do not touch or disturb furnishings or objects in the buildings. None of the furnishings in the home belong to the Carter family. They are period pieces of the 1930s era and are similar to what the Carters would have owned. Flash and video photography is allowed.



 

 

129-A41