Historic Markers Across Georgia



Walters Grocery Company



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Main Street, Plains, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 2.004    W 084° 23.592
  32.0334    -84.3932
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This section of the original Oliver McDonald Building was owned and operated by John and Katie Oliver as a grocery store in the 1930's and 40's. The store was sold to C.L. Walters, Jr. in 1943 and was renamed Walters Grocery Company. C.L. and his wife, Beth Murray Walters, operated the store and gave credit to customers by the month or year. Groceries were delivered by phone request to the homes of Plains citizens. The store was opened before daylight each morning and closed an hour after dark, except on Saturdays when it remained open until midnight. The store was never open on Sundays.

In 1972 the company was sold to C. L. Walters, III who made it "Self-serve." Since 1975 it has served as a gift shop.



 

 

129-A42