Historic Markers Across Georgia



Americus Colored Hospital



Marker ID: GHS 129-2
Location: 133 J.R. Campbell Sr. St. near intersection with Bay St., three blocks north of downtown Americus, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 04.630    W 084° 14.055
  32.07716    -84.23425
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMABBQ
Americus Colored Hospital Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

One of the earliest hospitals in southwest Georgia devoted to the care of African Americans, the Americus Colored Hospital opened in 1923. The majority of the funds needed to build the hospital were provided by Dr. W.S. Prather. Practice in the hospital was open to doctors of all races and so provided opportunities for black doctors, nurses, and pharmacists who were unable to practice in many hospitals throughout the South. The hospital suffered financial difficulties throughout its history, but remained in use by the African-American community until Sumter Regional Hospital was constructed under the Hill Burton Act in 1953.




Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and
City Federation of Colored Women Club

2008.12 129-2



 

 

129-HS2