Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Session Supreme Court of Georgia



Marker ID: GHM 130-1
Location: Courthouse in Talbotton
County: Talbot
Coordinates: N 32° 40.617    W 084° 32.413
  32.67694559    -84.54021881
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V3M
First Session Supreme Court of Georgia Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

At Talbotton on Jan. 26, 1846, the first meeting of the Supreme Court of Georgia was held in the dining hall of the old Clairborne Hotel which stood one block west of this marker. Judge Hiram Warner and Judge Eugenius A. Nisbet were present. Judge Joseph Henry Lumpkin, the other member of the newly established Court, did not attend because of illness in his family.

At the Court`s first session James M. Kelly of Perry was elected Reporter and Robert e. martin of Milledgeville, Clerk. Martin was sworn in.

Fifteen attorneys were admitted to the Supreme Court during the term held at Talbotton January 1846. The first lawyers in Georgia to qualify to practice before Georgia`s highest court were: Alfred Iverson, Hines Holt, James Johnson, Marcus Johnston and Adam G. foster of Columbus; Barnard Hill, Allen F. Owen, Edmund H. Worrill, William F. Brooks, Anthony G. Perryman, Levi B. Smith, Stephen D. Heard, Marion Bethune, and J.L. Stephenson of Talbotton; and Amos W. Hammond of Culloden.

GHM 130-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

130-1