Historic Markers Across Georgia



Double Bridges



Marker ID: GHM 130-2
Location: Ga 36 about 2 miles NE of Pleasant Hill at Old Alabama Road
County: Talbot
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

An ante-bellum Alabama Rd. crossing of Flint river at Owens Island, 1.25 mi. N. of the old DuBignon Ferry & 2.5 mi. N.E. of this point. Wilson`s Cav. seized Columbus Apr. 16, 1865. On the 17th, Minty`s div. was sent to blaze a trail to Macon. Minty sent the 4th Mich. & 3d Ohio Cav. under Col. B.D. Pritchard on a night march to secure the Flint river crossing at Double Bridges, guarded by 50 Georgia Cavalry Reserves, under Maj. N.C. Osborn. Pritchard, in a surprise attack, with overwhelming forces, seized the island and the two bridges.

Wilson`s Raiders followed Apr. 18-19, via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill & Thomaston.

GHM 130-2A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956