Historic Markers Across Georgia



Zion Episcopal Church Erected 1848



Marker ID: GHM 130-2
Location: Ga 41/US 80 in Talbotton at the church
County: Talbot
Coordinates: N 32° 40.503    W 084° 32.394
  32.6750467    -84.53990596
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6V99
Zion Episcopal Church Erected 1848 Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The edifice has been spared modernization and is a perfect replica of a typical English rural parish church of the Tudor-Gothic period.

The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure is put together with wooden pegs and handmade iron nails. The pipe organ, installed in 1850, and in continuous use since that time, is a Pilcher and still is operated by hand pump.

The choir loft at the east end of the structure opposite the sanctuary, above the narthex, is flanked on each side by a gallery, where slaves worshipped prior to the conflict which many believed temporarily destroyed Southern culture.

Zion Church had its incipience from the missionary zeal of the Rev. Richard Johnson and the financial assistance of South Carolina rice planters.

GHM 130-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



Zion Episcopal Church Erected 1848
Zion Episcopal Church Erected 1848
Photo by David Seibert



 

130-2B