Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Belleview



Marker ID: GHM 130-3
Location: Ga 41 about one mile south of Woodland
County: Talbot
Coordinates: N 32° 46.204    W 084° 33.467
  32.77006676    -84.55777517
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6VA4
Old Belleview Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Ante-bellum settlement on the Old Alabama Rd. between the Chattahoochee at Columbus and the Flint River at the Double Bridges.

Columbus was seized by Federal Cav. under Gen. James H. Wilson, April 16, 1865. The next day Minty`s div. was sent forward to secure the Flint River crossing at Double Bridges. This was done by the 4th Michigan & 3rd Ohio Cav., Col B.D. Pritchard comdg., after a rapid night march & a surprise attack, early the 18th.

The rest of Wilson`s forces left Columbus that day, following Minty`s div. via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill, Double Bridges, Thomaston, Culloden - Macon their destination.

GHM 130-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1956




Old Belleview
Photo by Ken Moser



 

130-3