Historic Markers Across Georgia



Talbot County



Marker ID: GHM 130-5
Location: Courthouse in Talbotton
County: Talbot
Coordinates: N 32° 40.651    W 084° 32.414
  32.67751807    -84.54022797
Waymark: WM7CE4
Talbot County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Talbot County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Muscogee County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), member of the legislature, member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Ga., President of the State Senate, Governor in 1819 after the death of Gov. Rabun until the election of Gov. Clark. First officers of Talbot County, commissioned Feb. 9, 1828, were: Abraham Laurence, Sheriff; Samuel C. Leech, Clk. Sup. Ct.; William S. Goss, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Benjamin Loyd, Surveyor; Hubbard Brown, Coroner.

GHM 130-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Talbot County Courthouse
Talbot County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

130-5