Historic Markers Across Georgia



Indian Mounds - Removed



Marker ID: GHM 131-10
Location: US 278/Ga 12 at Robinson
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Near this highway are three Indian mounds, great cairns of white stone on the east-west ridge of a high hill rising from the headwaters of the Ogeechee River. Presumably burial or ceremonial mounds, they are sur rounded by many small rock cairns. The last Indians to occupy this area were an alien tribe, "Yuchis" or "Children of the Sun". Supposedly Iroquois-Mohawk origin, they spoke the language of the Sioux. A warlike race, they constantly fought the Creeks and Cherokees and were driven west of the Chattahoochee River in the Yamassee War of 1715.

GHM 131-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 
Notes:

Removed about 1990