Historic Markers Across Georgia



Crawfordville Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 131-11
Location: Opposite Liberty Hall in Crawfordville
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 33.476    W 082° 53.691
  33.55793    -82.89485
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RFT
Crawfordville Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This, the first Protestant Church in the Taliaferro area and originally called Bethel, was established in 1802 by Rev. Jesse Mercer and Rev. James Matthews on land given by William Janes, one of Georgia´s largest planters. The first pastor was Rev. James Robertson; first deacons were John Walker and Etheldred Wilder. Known widely for its liberality, this church granted the use of its building to other denominations while their churches were being organized. Many fiery political speeches have been made in the church building. The present structure was erected in 1889.

GHM 131-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

131-11