Historic Markers Across Georgia



South Liberty Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 131-12
Location: Ga 269 in Sharon
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 33.305    W 082° 47.687
  33.55508    -82.79478
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T4M
South Liberty Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1820, several members of Liberty Church, Wilkes County, petitioned to form a new church, South Liberty, because of "distance, bad roads, high water in winter". A log church was built in 1828 about 4 miles east of Sharon on land given by Joshua Morgan. Services began in May 1828 and were held continuously except during the War Between the States when the minister and members were on military duty. In i1855 the log church was replaced by a frame building and, in 1877, that was moved to the present location in Sharon. First elders were Moses Alexander, C. C. Mills and Joshua Morgan. Dr. Carlyle P. Beman was the first minister.

GHM 131-12 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

131-12