Historic Markers Across Georgia



Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute



Marker ID: GHM 131-4
Location: Opposite Liberty Hall in Crawfordville
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 33.443    W 082° 53.714
  33.55738    -82.89524
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RFP
Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute
This school, one of the finest of the early Georgia Academies, was chartered by the Legislature, Dec. 26, 1826. First trustees were Archibald Gresham, R. Q. Dickinson, Wylie Womack, Hermon Mercer, Leonidas B. Mercer. Among the first masters were William D. Cowdrey and Simpson Fouche, outstanding classical scholars. The name was officially changed to Stephens High School in 1886 to honor Alexander Stephens and a new building was erected. That building burned in 1907 and was replaced by another. In 1920 it became Alexander Stephens Institute, a county high school. In 1955 the school moved to a new site.

GHM 131-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

131-4