Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Church of the Purification Locust Grove Academy



Marker ID: GHM 131-5
Location: Ga 47 in Sharon
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 33.821    W 082° 47.63
  33.56368    -82.79384
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T4N
The Church of the Purification Locust Grove Academy Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1790 several Catholic families of English descent from Maryland settled near Locust Grove. They established the first Roman Catholic Church in Georgia and erected a log church in 1792. A priest, Father John LeMoin, was sent to it from Baltimore. French families, fleeing the French Revolution and, later, several Irish families joined the colony. After 1860 a church was erected in Sharon, as the Locust Grove location had become too remote. Locust Grove Academy, the first chartered Roman Catholic Academy in Georgia, was formed about 1818. Many prominent Georgians have come from these early Catholic families.

GHM 131-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



The Church of the Purification
The Church of the Purification Locust Grove Academy
Photo by Ken Moser



 

131-5