Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Gun Shop



Marker ID: GHM 131-6
Location: US 278/Ga 12 in Robinson
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 34.669    W 082° 58.92
  33.57781    -82.982
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HG3
Confederate Gun Shop Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Fifty yards from here, in a brick building, stood the gun shop of Henning Daniel Murden (1815-1903), who, during the War Between the States, made and supplied guns and molds to Confederate troops. Like virtually all rural gun shops in the South, it was a limited operation. "Stephens Home Guards," later Co. D., 15th Ga. Inf. Reg., first company organized in Taliaferro County, was equipped with guns made by Murden. Grandson of Rev. soldier Richard Asbury Sr., Murden is buried in the cemetery slightly to the east of here.


GHM 131-6 Georgia Historical Marker 1992



 

 

131-6