Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ray's Place-Now Raytown



Marker ID: GHM 131-8
Location: Crossroads in Raytown
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 34.16    W 082° 45.153
  33.56934    -82.75255
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T4V
Ray's Place-Now Raytown Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Ray´s Place, oldest community in Taliaferro County, was, in the late 1790´s and early 1800´s; a recreation center on Little River for the "livelier social set" of Washington. It was named for a Ray family from New York who lived in Washington for several years. In later years the famed Wrightsboro Road came through Raytown and the stage road from Double Wells (Barnett) to Washington. The parents and grandparents of Jefferson Davis owned plantations near Raytown in the early 1800´s. Mrs. Davis, fleeing Federal forces in 1865, spent a night in Raytown.

GHM 131-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

131-8