Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail



Marker ID: GHM 131-9
Location: across from the Courthouse in Crawfordville
County: Taliaferro
Coordinates: N 33° 33.259    W 082° 53.795
  33.55432    -82.89658
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZP2
The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail Marker
Photo by GA H2OBUG



Text:

The colonial road from Charleston to Vicksburg followed the highway at this point. The route,used by Col. Langdon Welch on his expedition to the Mississippi in 1698, was thereafter followed by British traders. Through Taliaferro Co., it followed the present route, Raytown to Crawfordville to Union Point, then Ogeechee River Old town. Wm. Bartram, celebrated traveler, crossed here in 1773 with the party, headed by Col. Barnett, which surveyed 2,000,000 acres of land ceded by the Creeks and Cherokees to the Colony of Georgia. Lafayette followed this road on his American tour in 1825.

GHM 131-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

131-9