Historic Markers Across Georgia



Beards Creek Church



Marker ID: GHM 132-3
Location: NE from Glennville on E. Hencart to just W of Long County
County: Tattnall
Coordinates: N 31° 58.891    W 081° 52.089
  31.98151626    -81.86814601
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9NV6
Beards Creek Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Beards Creek Church was orderly constituted on December 29, 1804, by the Rev. John Gooldwire, the Rev. John Standford, the Rev. Isham Peacock, and the Rev. David Hennesy, all orderly Baptist ministers. Jacob Dees and Moses Westberry were that day ordained Deacons, and the Rev. David Hehnesy was called to be the first Minister. Nathan Smart was Clerk.

Organizing members were: John Dees, John Taylor, William Willcox, Samuel Thornton, Levi Morgan, Robert Bruer, J ames Thomas, Ezeceal Thornton, John Overstreet, Seth Knight, Nathan Smart and John Purcell. The church was constituted near the site of the present edifice.

On November 26, 1896, Beards Creek Church, with seven others, became an organizing member of the Bethel Primitive Baptist Association.

During the years since it was constituted, many of the Baptist churches in the surrounding area have originated from the Beards Creek Church.

GHM 132-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



Breards Creek Church
Beards Creek Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

132-3