Historic Markers Across Georgia



Love's Chapel Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 132-1
Location: at Love's Chapel Road/County Road 396, Glennville
County: Tattnall
Coordinates: N 31° 58.887    W 081° 57.079
  31.98144732    -81.95131572
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3FCQ
Love's Chapel Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Photo by onfire4jesus



Text:

This church was constituted and its first sanctuary built in 1888 on `Love`s Old Field,` land donated by G.M. Love. Charter members were the J.J. Kicklighters, the Dennis Lynns, Allen Lynn, and D.B. Smith, the church`s first clerk. Elders on the constituting presbytery were H.B. Wilkerson, Bazil Jones, and M.F. Stubbs, the first pastor. In 1896 the church was one of seven organizing members of the Bethel Primitive Baptist Association. J. Walter Hendricks, pastor from 1932-43, became the first president of Birdwood College, now Thomas College, in Thomasville. This c.1930 sanctuary was remodeled in the 1960s.

2000.4 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Love`s Chapel Primitive Baptist Church. 132-1



 

 

132-HS1