Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Shiloh Cemetery



Marker ID: GHS 132-2
Location: mile post 15 on Ga. 121, Reidsville
County: Tattnall
Coordinates: N 32° 2.366    W 082° 4.259
  32.03943688    -82.07098587
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3HT6
 



Text:

Shiloh Methodist Church, the second Methodist Church in Tattnall County, was organized c. 1810 by Rev. William Eason and remained at this site until the 1850s when it was moved a short distance north. Unlike at other churches in the area at the time, a cemetery was maintained beside the Meeting House. Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. Burials include area pioneer Michael McKenzie Mattox, Methodist ministers, Confederate veterans, local and state elected officials and numerous other whites and blacks--both free and slave. The last burial occurred in 1942.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Trustees of Old Shiloh Cemetery, and Friends of Old Shiloh Cemetery Inc.
Old Shiloh Cemetery

Shiloh Methodist Church, the second Methodist Church in Tattnall County, was organized c. 1810 by Rev. William Eason and remained at this site until the 1850s when it was moved a short distance north. Unlike at other churches in the area at the time, a cemetery was maintained beside the Meeting House. Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. Burials include area pioneer Michael McKenzie Mattox, Methodist ministers, Confederate veterans, local and state elected officials and numerous other whites and blacks--both free and slave. The last burial occurred in 1942.

2001.18 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Trustees of Old Shiloh Cemetery, and Friends of Old Shiloh Cemetery Inc. 132-2



 

 

132-HS2