Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Wire Road



Marker ID: GHM 133-3A
Location: Ga 137, 1.5 mi W of jct with Ga 263 near Fickling Mill
County: Taylor
Coordinates: N 32° 39.355    W 084° 10.426
  32.65591627    -84.17376554
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7M8Q
The Wire Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Wire Road, named for a line of telegraph wire once stretched along it, formed a part of the stage highway from Richmond to New Orleans. About three miles from the Flint River on this road is the Crowell Methodist Church, founded in 1826, on the site of an Indian Agency. Near the church were stables where fresh horses were kept for stagecoaches. Near Fickling´s Mill was an inn where travelers on coaches spent the night. Many noted guests, including General LaFayette, were entertained at the Peter Corbin mansion which stood about a mile from the Flint River on Wire Road.

GHM 132-3A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMIS 1954
SION



 

 

133-3A