Historic Markers Across Georgia



Taylor County



Marker ID: GHM 133-4
Location: Courthouse in Butler
County: Taylor
Coordinates: N 32° 33.429    W 084° 14.271
  32.55715557    -84.23784896
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7MCN
Taylor County Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Taylor County


Taylor County was created by Act of Jan. 15, 1852 from parts of Macon, Marion and Talbot Counties. It was named for Zachary Taylor (1784-1850), 12th President of the U.S., Major-General, Commander of the Army of the Rio Grande. Known as “Old Rough and Ready," he captured Monterrey, Sept. 24, 1846 and defeated Santa Anna at Buena Vista, Feb. 22-23, 1847.

First officers of Taylor County, commissioned July 24, 1852 were: J.M. Thompson, Sheriff; J.M. McCants, Clerk Sup. Ct.; James T. Harmon, Clerk Inf. Ct.; A. Rhodes, Tax Rec.; Charles Loyd, Tax Col; J.B. Hamilton, Ordinary; C. Stewart, Coroner; Jonathan Stewart, Surveyor.






132-4 Georgia Historical Commission. 1956



Taylor County Courthouse
Taylor County
Photo by David Seibert



 

133-4