Historic Markers Across Georgia



Telfair County



Marker ID: GHM 134-2
Location: Courthouse in McRae, GA
County: Telfair
Coordinates: N 32° 4.01    W 082° 53.801
  32.0668399    -82.89668278
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA5DR
Telfair County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Telfair County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally, it contained parts of Coffee and dodge Counties. It was named for Gov. Edward Telfair (1735- 1807). Born in Scotland, he settled in Savannah in 1766, was a staunch supporter of the American cause in the Revolution, was a member of the Council of Safety, a delegate to the Continental Congress, Governor 1786-1787 and 1790-1793. First officers of Telfair County, commissioned Dec. 20, 1808, were: Duncan Curry, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Cullen Edwards, Sheriff; Benjamin M. Griffin, Coroner.

GHM 134-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Telfair County Courthouse
Telfair County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

134-2