Historic Markers Across Georgia



807 Methodism at Spring Hill



Marker ID:  16
Location: Wheeler County Road 134 just west of Wheeler County Road 174, Spring Hill, GA
County: Telfair
Coordinates: N 32° 0.754    W 082° 43.580
  32.01256666    -82.72633333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Spring Hill, settled in 1807, was a preaching place on the Ohoopee Circuit by 1814. In 1850 John Carmichael gave land for a campground. A tabernacle replaced the brush arbors about the church. Campmeetings continued seven decades. Clements Institute evolved from pre-Civil War schools and in 1871 became the First Methodist District High School. C.C. Hines and W. A. Huckabee led in founding South Georgia College at McRae in 1891. From 1897, J.D. Anthony, "Bishop of the wiregrass", made this is home. Here Bascom Anthony entered the ministry. In 1991, the church worships in its 1879 frame building with a fellowship hall in the school.

No. 16
South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church
1991




807 Methodism at Spring Hill
Photo by David Seibert



 

134-A4