Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V.



Marker ID: GHM 135-2
Location: In front of the Library on Main St at 7th St in Dawson, GA
County: Terrell
Coordinates: N 31° 46.557    W 084° 26.796
  31.77595691    -84.44660438
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAETF
Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

General Patrick Cleburne Camp, S. C. V., the only Camp east of the Mississippi to be named for a General from the west of that river, was organized May 3, 1956, with members from several counties in Southwest Georgia.

General Patrick Ronayne Cleburne (Mar. 17, 1828-Nov. 30, 1864), Irish-born druggist and soldier, resident of Helena, Arkansas, joined the Confederate Army as Captain of the Yell Rifles. Known as "The Stonewall Jackson of the West", Major General Cleburne was killed in battle at Franklin, Tennessee, soon after the Battle of Atlanta. According to General Robert E. Lee, he was "a meteor shooting from a clouded sky".

Charter members of this Camp include: P. C. King, Jr., Commander, William R. Edwards, Raymond Lash, M. M. Fiveash, J. T. Thornton, W.C. Lash, Credille Rogers of Dawson; Bob Cook of Cusseta; J. W. Ivey, T. E. Shaffer, F. P. Love of Cuthbert; Dr. M. B. Bowman of Albany; William F. Cummings of Brinson; Raymond C. Jackson of Tifton; Willie D. Hammock, Jr., of Coleman; Ernest Breedlove Whitchard of Millen; Senator Walter F. George of Vienna. This Camp was organized by Clyde A. Boynton, Division Commander.


GHM 135-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

135-2