Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Gun Shop



Marker ID: GHM 135-6
Location: North Orange and 12th Streets, Dawson, GA
County: Terrell
Coordinates: N 31° 46.846    W 084° 26.633
  31.78076546    -84.44388597
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFFB
Confederate Gun Shop Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

When the states of Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee grew short of arms in 1863, Governor Shorter of Alabama and President Jefferson Davis persuaded Major O. O. Nelson of Tuscumbia, Alabama, to organize a company to erect a Gun Shop. Originally erected in Dickson Station, Alabama, the shop was soon moved to Rome, Georgia, where it remained for several months. When the advance of Federal troops made that location untenable, the Gun Shop was moved to this site, where it was operating at full capacity at the close of the war in 1865.

GHM 135-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

135-6