Historic Markers Across Georgia



Exile Camp



Marker ID: GHM 135-7
Location: Martin Luther King St just past 12th Ave, Dawson, GA
County: Terrell
Coordinates: N 31° 46.906    W 084° 26.774
  31.78176666    -84.44623333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Exile Camp Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

After the fall of Atlanta in 1864, when refugees were searching for food and havens far removed from the scenes of war, Governor Joseph E. Brown arranged for the transportation of about 300, mainly women and children, to Dawson. They stayed at "Exile Camp". During Reconstruction, detachments of 50 Federal soldiers were quartered at "Exile Camp" to preserve order. Socially disposed, they behaved with "such prudence and fairness", that friendships between citizens and these soldiers are treasured yet. The last detachment, under Sergeant Barker, left here April 30, 1868.


GHM 135-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 
Notes:

Also see Transfer Point GHM 031-6 - Claton County.

 

135-7