Historic Markers Across Georgia



Thomas County



Marker ID: GHM 136-1
Location: Courthouse in Thomasville, GA
County: Thomas
Coordinates: N 30° 50.334    W 083° 58.908
  30.8388955    -83.98180274
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM8HY
Thomas County Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

Thomas County was created by legislative acts of Dec. 23 and 24, 1825 introduced by Thomas J. Johnson, and named for Gen. Jett Thomas, War of 1812 hero.

First settlers included John Parramore, Shadrick Atkinson, E. Blackshear, N.R. Mitchell and John Hill Bryan. The first governing justices were Aaron Everett, Thomas Dekle, Duncan Ray, Simon D. Hadley and A. McMillan. The home of prosperous farms, beautiful mansions, with industry and culture working side by side.

(Text by Leb Dekle, President Thomas County Historical Society.)

GHM 136-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

136-1