Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tift County



Marker ID: GHM 137-1
Location: Courthouse in Tifton, GA
County: Tift
Coordinates: N 31° 27.247    W 083° 30.476
  31.45411873    -83.50792694
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3RQB
Tift County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 17, 1905, is officially named for Nelson Tift, well known businessman, legislator and Mayor of Albany. The organizers also had in mind his nephew Henry Hardin Tift, who founded Tifton in 1872 when he built a saw mill and commissary here though the first postoffice was not established until 1887. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff J.B. Baker, Ordinary W.S. Walker, Clerk J.E. Peoples, Tax Receiver J.A. Marchant, Tax Collector J. Henry Hutchinson, Treasurer S. F. Overstreet, Coroner J.E. Johns, and Surveyor J.T. Webb.

GHM 137-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 
Tift County Courthouse
Tift County


 

137-1