Historic Markers Across Georgia



McMillan Burial Ground



Marker ID:  
Location: McMillan Burial Ground, Vidalia, GA
County: Toombs
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA7B3
McMillan Burial Ground Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

An early settler to the area that is now Vidalia was Malcolm McMillan, who pitched his camp near this site circa 1800, and built his pioneer home. In the following years, he and his cousin, the Rev. Murphey McMillan, established a Presbyterian church and cemetery on this site. For the next 100 years, this served as the principal cemetery for the loose community of farmers, loggers and sheepherders that populated this area of what was then eastern Montgomery County.

The McMillans are believed to be buried here in now unmarked graves. Many of the older wooden markers which were once prevalent here no longer exist. The large open areas of the cemetery are not vacant of graves, only markers.

One of the first towns established near this site was Sterling in 1850, and many of its residents are buried here.

With the coming of the railroad in the late 1880s, this cemetery served the nearby communities that sprang up along its route, including: Aimwell, Appleton, Bandanna, Jenkins Stations, Stacers, Straw and Tosh.

After the founding of Vidalia in 1890, these early towns gradually ceased to exist. With the creation of Pinecrest Cemetery in 1907, this site ceased to serve as the area's primary cemetery, and has often been known as the Church Street cemetery, the Primitive Baptist cemetery, and the Old Vidalia City cemetery.
Erected by the General Robert A. Toombs Camp 932, S. C. V.




McMillan Burial Ground
Photo by David Seibert