Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Unicoi Turnpike



Marker ID: GHM 139-1
Location: US 76 at Ga 17, Ga 75, 0.7 mile north of Presley
County: Towns
Coordinates: N 34° 55.100    W 083° 43.747
  34.91833333    -83.72911666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Unicoi Turnpike, first vehicular thoroughfare in this part of Georgia , passed here leading from Nine Mile Creek near Maryville in East Tennessee to the head of poleboat navigation in the Tugalo River, to the east of Toccoa.

Permission to open the rout as a toll road was given by the Cherokees in 1813 to a company of Indians and white men. Georgia and Tennessee granted charters to the concern.

Prior to its opening as a wagon road, the trace was part of an important trading path from the Cherokees to Augusta.

Noted Unicoi Gap to the South derives its name from the road which used that pass to cross the Blue Ridge.

GHM 139-1 Georgia historical Commission 1956



 

 

139-1