Historic Markers Across Georgia



Treutlen County



Marker ID: GHM 140-3
Location: Courthouse in Soperton
County: Treutlen
Coordinates: N 32° 22.627    W 082° 35.589
  32.37710895    -82.59314206
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7V2J
Treutlen County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Treutlen County was created by Act of Aug. 21, 1917 from Emanuel and Montgomery Counties. It was named for Gov. John Adam Treutlen (1726- 1782), `one of the foremost revolutionists.` Elected Governor over Button Gwwinnett in 1777, he was declared a `rebel governor` by the roayl government and is believed to have been murdered by Tories in Orangeburg, S.C. First officers of Treutlen County, commissioned Dec. 9, 1918, were M.B. Ware, Sheriff; N.L. Gillis, Ordinary; J.F. Mullis, Clk. Sup. Ct.; J.E. Dukes, Surveyor; A. Gillis, TReasurer; B.X. Watkins, Coroner; R.E. Ward, Sr., School Supt.

GHM 140-3 Georgia Historical Commission



Treutlen County Courthouse
Treutlen County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

140-3