Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Burnt Village



Marker ID: GHM 141-11
Location: Lower Glass Bridge Rd at Earl Cook Recreation Area
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 32° 59.701    W 085° 10.469
  32.995017    -85.174483
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
The Burnt Village Marker  



Text:

The Muscogee Indian village of Ocfusknena was 1,000 yards from here. Nearby shoals in the river formed an ancient crossing for traders and travelers going west of the Chattahoochee. On Sept. 27, 1793, a group of Georgians, seeking to destroy the village whose warriors had raided their outpost settlements, gathered on the bank of the river, waited until dark and, with their guns and powder held over their heads, waded the river to attack the sleeping village. A few warriors escaped into Alabama. The town was burned and became known as `The Burnt Village` for the charred posts that marked the site for many years.

GHM 141-11 Georgia Historical Commission



 
Notes:

Removed

 

141-11