Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Dead



Marker ID: GHM 141-12
Location: Front of Cemetery, Miller St near Douglas St, LaGrange
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 33° 1.783    W 085° 1.942
  33.02972241    -85.03236862
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q03
Confederate Dead Marker  



Text:

About 300 Confederate soldiers are buried here, most of whom died of wounds or disease in the several Confederate hospitals located in LaGrange. Most of these men served in the Confederate Army of Tennessee and participated in many bloody engagements. The hospitals here were the St. Marys, Oliver, Cannon, Law, and some temporary ones. The "Nancy Hearts." a militia Organization of gallant Confederate women, assisted in nursing the sick and wounded, as did other patriotic men and women of this vicinity.

141-12 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

141-12