Historic Markers Across Georgia



LaGrange College-1831



Marker ID: GHM 141-7
Location: Broad Street at Waverly Way, LaGrange
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 33° 2.264    W 085° 2.69
  33.03773697    -85.04482618
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4PH7
LaGrange College-1831 Marker  



Text:

LaGrange College is the oldest non-tax supported institution of higher education in Georgia. It was chartered in 1831 as LaGrange Female Academy. The charter has been changed three times as the trustees altered the name to LaGrange Female Institute in 1847, to LaGrange Female College in 1851 and finally to LaGrange College in 1934. It was formally declared a co-educational institution in 1954. LaGrange College is owned by the North Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church.

GHM 147-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

141-7