Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bellevue



Marker ID: GHM 141-8
Location: Broad Street at Ben Hill Street, LaGrange
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 33° 2.373    W 085° 02.365
  33.03955824    -85.03946203
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5DNY
Bellevue Marker  



Text:

Bellevue, home of United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), was built in 1854-55 and typifies the Greek Revival architecture popular in the Old South. Jefferson Davis and other Confederate celebrities were frequent guest here. At the urging of Senator Hill, lawyer, one of Georgia´s foremost orators and champion of the South during Reconstruction days. President Hayes withdrew Union occupation troops. In 1942 Bellevue was presented to the LaGrange Woman´s Club by the Fuller E. Callaway Foundation. It is now maintained by the Club.

GHM 141-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

141-8