Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jones Crossroads



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Ga 219 at Ga 18 at the Troup County line
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 32° 52.176    W 085° 2.1
  32.86960002    -85.03499921
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3VNV
Jones Crossroads Marker  



Text:

Troup and Harris County residents first settled at the crossroads of the LaGrange-Whitesville-Columbus Stagecoach route and the West Point to King´s Gap Road in the late 1820´s. Named for local landowner, Christopher Columbus Jones (1831-1904 and his son Monroe, Jones Crossroads once had several flourishing businesses, including a cotton gin, a racehorse track, a tavern, and a U.S. post office called Paulina. Monroe Jones established the rock store in 1903 which members of the Avery Family have owned and operated since the 1920´s. Just south of here is Union Baptist Church, established in 1838, and the site of Union Academy and the Jessie Wisdom Institute.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Troup County Historical Society, 1994



 

 

141-A5