Historic Markers Across Georgia



Troup County Academy



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: US 27/29 at Franklin Street, LaGrange
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 33° 2.618    W 085° 1.813
  33.04363609    -85.03022262
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4PZP
Troup County Academy Marker  



Text:

The first school in Troup County opened in LaGrange in 1828, just months after the county´s organization. Located just east of this spot, Troup Academy shared the lot with Hill View Cemetery. The county owned the building while a Board of Trustees operated the Boys School. State money, called Poor School Funds, supplemented tuition at Troup and LaGrange Female Academies. The City of LaGrange bought and moved the school to Hill Street in 1838, renamed it LaGrange High School and began using these grounds exclusively as a cemetery. Noted early teachers included Orville A. Bull and Blount C. Ferrell.

Erected by the Troup County Historical Society, the Key Club of Troup High School, and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1995



 

 

141-A6