Historic Markers Across Georgia



Troup Factory



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Flat Shoals Creek on US 27, 10 mi S of LaGrange
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 32° 56.703    W 084° 55.405
  32.94504897    -84.92341154
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4P7Q
Troup Factory Marker  



Text:

Troup Factory, first cotton mill in Troup County, Georiga, was established in 1846 on Flat Shoals Creek by Robertson, Leslie & Co., of Meriwether County. Water powered carding, spinning and weaving, in a massive four-storied mill, produced famed quality sheetings and osnaburgs until 1899. In 1902, L. M. Park bought and removed the mill to LaGrange. Maxey Brooks (1796-1861), pioneer millwright, built an important gristmill on the site in 1829 and sold it to the Company in 1846.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980



 

 

141-A7