Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tenth Street School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: E. Tenth St, West Point
County: Troup
Coordinates: N 32° 52.572    W 085° 10.215
  32.876200    -85.170250
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4P7V
Tenth Street School Marker  



Text:

Constructed in 1931, Tenth Street School provided an education for African-Americans in all grades. Over the years, graduates distinguished themselves in education, law, medicine, religion, government, and military. In 1956, a new school was built for high school students and Tenth Street became an elementary school. In 1970, Tenth Street was integrated to serve all West Point students, grades four through seven. Students were transferred in the mid-1970s to the former Harrison High and the school was demolished. Alumni are forever indebted to the principals and teachers who gave them a start at Tenth Street School.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Charter Foundation and Alumni of Tenth Street School, 2004.



 

 

141-A9