Historic Markers Across Georgia



Turner County



Marker ID: GHM 142-1
Location: Courthouse in Ashburn  
County: Turner
Coordinates: N 31° 42.461    W 083° 39.175
  31.70769119    -83.65292358
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG5N
Turner County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 18, 1905, is named for Capt. Henry Gray Turner who was captured by Union troops at Gettysburg. A resident of Nashville and later of Quitman, he served in the legislature, and in Congress from 1881 to 1897. About 1855 the Battle of Sandy Sink was fought two miles east of Cool Springs with the Indians under Billy Bow Legs. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John B. Cason, Ordinary W.A. Greer, Clerk of Superior Court C.L. Royal, Tax Receiver V.A. Freeman, Tax Collector T.E. Brown and Treasurer J.H. Gorday.

GHM 142-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Turner County Courthouse
Turner County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

142-1