Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tarversville



Marker ID: GHM 143-10
Location: US 23/Ga 87 just SE of junction with Ga 96 in Tarversville
County: Twiggs
Coordinates: N 32° 32.409    W 083° 26.414
  32.54014703    -83.44022548
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7TQ6
Tarversville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This settlement was named for the Tarver family who settled here more than a century ago. In 1826 a post office was opened as Tarver´s Store and in 1831 the name was changed to Tarversville. Hartwell Hill Tarver (1791-1851) was one of the area´s wealthiest planters and largest slave owners. One of the community´s most noted citizens. In 1831, '34, ´35, and ´39, he represented Twiggs County in the Georgia House of Representatives. He was elected - Brigadier-General of the 1st Brigade 6th Division of the Georgia Militia, in 1837.

Here was located the Ocmulgee Academy, incorporated by the State of Georgia in 1819 with Benjamin Dupree, Edmund Dupree. William W. Williamson, Henry Bunn and Robert Glenn, Trustees. The school flourished for many years, accepting both local and boarding students.

Located near here was Fort Twiggs, one of a series of forts established near the Ocmulgee River during the War of 1812. The nucleus of the "Lafayette Volunteers" of Twiggs County assembled at Tarversville in 1825 to march to Milledgeville to greet General Lafayette on his visit there.

GHM 143-10 Georgia Historical Commission 1960



 

 

143-10