Historic Markers Across Georgia



Myricks Mill



Marker ID: GHM 143-4
Location: At Liberty Hill Church on Myricks Mill Rd 5 miles N of US 80
County: Twiggs
Coordinates: N 32° 47.69    W 083° 22.35
  32.79483053    -83.3724986
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This old mill has been in operation in the same building for at least 150 years. In 1825 on his visit to Georgia, Marquis de LaFayette stopped here and found this mill grinding corn and making unbolted flour. As soon as he reached a city market, he sent back a piece of silk so the mill could bolt its flour and provide the people of this section with better food. The General´s thoughtfulness was greatly appreciated by the early setters.
For a number of recent years this mill has been used only for grinding corn.

GHM 143-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

143-4